Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: Acknowledging indigenous territory


This week's Reminiscing post pays respect where it's due. Pearlle acknowledges the owners of this beautiful land we live on, specifically Coast Salish land. We live in Victoria BC and most of our posts are written on unceded Lekwungen territory. This is an acknowledgement of where we are and how we got here!
coast salish territory

It's also important to recognize my role in the on-going collection of the land I now call home and to seek out ways to take part in a meaningful decolonization process. As a University student in Victoria, acknowledging unceded land is something that is usually done at most gatherings. This was something that I never saw happen in the States where I schooled for 2 years and I really don't understand why.

With recent events such as the Idle No More movement and the like, I feel like it is so important not just acknowledge the owners of the land with our words but also our actions.