Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: New clothes and chicken during Christmas in Nigeria


I was thinking one day over the holiday break about Christmas in Nigeria and popular customs such as eating chicken and getting new clothes.

I never really found it fascinating until I left the country. I'm pretty sure it's a Nigerian thing, or maybe West African. But I don't think this is done anywhere else in the world.


I remember those good old days when my mum would take us to the market to get clothes sewn, or bought even months in advance. She'd always get a bigger size so we could grow into our clothes. Christmas morning was always a joy. The thrill of wearing those new clothes for the first time and going to church to show off, with your Christmas shoes, wristwatch, bag, and hairstyles? Good times...

I knew some adults who went all out and bought new clothes, etc for themselves for Christmas. I was never like that, and I don't really remember when I grew out of the 'new stuff for Christmas' mentality. In recent times, during Christmas, I think of Jesus - the reason I celebrate Christmas. I also appreciate the food. You know how it is, Christmas means there's lots of good food to chop.



Reminiscing Mondays is a weekly post by Pearlle Magazine's contributors, sharing their memories about life in Nigeria.