Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: Buying African ingredients online + recipes

Dang, I spend sooo much time on youtube. I was watching the Nigerian tag on youtube which led me to Nigerian Food Recipes channel . That particular video shows how to make agidi which you can eat with pepper soup. I started to reminisce about wonderful African cuisine and how almost impossible it is to cook some tasty goodness where I live. I live in Victoria Canada so finding all the ingredients needed to cook some proper African soup is probably not gonna be possible. This led me to do a quick online search for African food online. Here are some of my findings.

1. EatSumMore
Just like the South African biscuits (yummm). I love this website and they're also based in Canada so I'm hoping shipping costs won't be ridiculously expensive. They have an endless list of groceries which are decently priced.

2. Nandos USA
They have an online store yall. Unfortunately they do not ship internationally.

3. Worldwide Int'l foods
They sell a wide range of groceries all decently priced such as rayfish, palm oil, sardine, semolina, etc. They also deliver intentionally.

4. Makola
They sell groceries, clothing and accessories, artifacts and the like.

5. Dishal
Sells mainly Indian/East African foods.

Check out a more detailed list of online stores here

Madombi was one of my favorite dishes when I lived in Botswana. It's basically basically a hearty chicken soup and dumplings. Here's a recipe I found online which is not complicated

Madombi
Image source
Here's another recipe I found here

Madombi (dumplings)
2 c. flour
1 tbsp. instant yeast
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
Warm water

· Mix dough and knead to same consistency as above
· Since this one has yeast, let it stand covered in a warm place until it doubles in size
· Punch dough down and knead for several more minutes
· Form disks/ patties as above
· Place in boiling water for 15-25 min.


Reminiscing Mondays is a weekly post by Pearlle Magazine's contributors, sharing their memories about growing up in Africa.