Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: Jeremiah Gyang

All my high school friends at International Secondary School, ATBU Bauchi will tell you this: I love Jeremiah Gyang. Jeremiah Gyang's Na Ba Ka! CD was the first CD I ever owned. My mum bought it for me when I was 12 years old and I was so hooked!! I was immediately drawn to the cover of the CD because I thought he looked so cool, hat and all. Many of my friends and family disagreed, and looking back at the CD cover, I kinda see what they meant.

Na Ba Ka
 
Awful cover aside, this dude can sing!!!! You know when Randy Jackson on American Idol says, "a star can sing the phone book"? I'm telling you, JG can sing a freakin' phone book. I listened to this CD for yearssss, and I still do. I can practically sing all the lyrics in the songs on the CD regardless of what language it's in.

I think it's quite unfortunate that JG's career never really picked up due to a falling out with his record label, Chocolate City. He is no longer a CC artiste, and I suspect that is due to the fact that CC wanted to go a different route musically as evidenced by the signing of M.I, Jesse Jagz, Brymo, etc. Nothing wrong with that, #justsaying. However, I really hope that JG releases another CD in the near future and shows us what we've been missing.

A few years ago, he did a collabo with Asa on Comforter's Song which is a favorite of mine:


In other news, JG got married last year, and he and his wife Ladi welcomed a baby girl a few weeks ago. Congrats to them!!


Reminiscing Mondays is a weekly post by Pearlle Magazine's contributors, sharing their memories about growing up in Africa.