Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: Saturday Mornings in Nigeria

I was watching this video a while ago and it struck me how similar my experience was to theirs!

Saturday mornings were sooo much fun growing up. It was always really laid back as I got sleep in because there was no school. I would always pretend to still be sleeping so I wouldn't have to get up and go do laundry. That's what we did first - laundry, then house cleaning for a bit. There used to be environmental sanitation when I was really young, which meant staying home and cleaning outside our house thoroughly. Then my mum and I would fry akara which we would eat with bread. Sometimes we made moimoi which is sooo delish!! Sometimes we'd have pancakes made by our dad too.

We also made our hair on Saturday. By made, my mum got a girl to plait (cornrow) our hair. Thank you Rifkatou for teaching me the basics in hair styling which I have since developed on :)

I don't remember what we watched on TV which is so strange. I guess we didn't watch anything "special" on Saturday mornings, just what we watched on any other day.

Someone talked about it in the vid, Saturday afternoons were the best. Housework and laundry was done, and all we did was eat and chill out.

What are your favorite Saturday morning memories growing up?




Reminiscing Mondays is a weekly post by Pearlle Magazine's contributors, sharing their memories about life in Nigeria.