Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: Without a Silver Spoon

If you attended JSS2 or 3 in Nigeria, then you probably read this book written by Eddie Iroh. Such good times!!

I remember reading this book so many times so I could do well in tests and exams, as I knew we would be quizzed on this. I don't remember everything about this book but I remember its emphasis on hard work and high moral values, especially honesty.

I did a Google search of Eddie Iroh as I was quite curious as to what he is doing now. He worked in the Nigerian media industry for many years but is now in the UK working as an international media strategist


Don't despair if you have no idea what I'm talking about because you didn't read this book in secondary school, or did not attend secondary school in Nigeria. Africanbookscollective.com provides a brief synopsis of Without A Silver Spoon: Ure comes from a poor but honest family, and works as a houseboy to pay his own school fees. Towards the end of his primary school days he is accused of stealing money. He is saved by the well-placed total trust of his parents and his teacher.

Shvoong.com is more detailed, check it out if you're curious.



Reminiscing Mondays is a weekly post by Pearlle Magazine's contributors, sharing their memories about life in Nigeria.