Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: Nigeria's Glory Days

Let me start off by saying that I'm not old, don't act old or even look old (thank God), but I remember the days when Nigeria was a force to be reckoned with in sports.

Oh Nigeria, she was once a great contender in athletics and boxing. More recently, a struggling powerhouse in football (or soccer or whatever you choose to call it... futbol), but now, Nigeria, the home of 5 goal scorers in the English premier League who had about 40 goals between them last summer is now a faint dream. There is hope for her though, but that's not what this post is about.

I want to share my lovely memories of watching Nigeria compete and own other countries at events like the World Cup, the Olympics, the Commonwealth Games and the African Cup of Nations.

Oh how the great have falling! (Is that how the saying goes even? Ok, I'm done bawling.)

First, the Olympics and our athletes. One word: Wow.
We beat teams that people think are awesome today, and it wasn't even so surprising.
Nigeria beating teams like Jamaica (home of Husain Bolt... #beast) and the U.S.A (home of Tyson Gay... #smallerBeast) was not surprising, just like how Nigeria beating a football team like Botswana wouldn't be surprising; No offense, but Nigeria's athletic team was classy. We won medals.

100 meter races, 200 meter races, hurdles, and relays; we owned them all.

Nigerian Athletics - past glory
IMAGE SOURCE
Random Theory
I wouldn't be surprised if the U.S had something to do with Nigeria's downfall in Athletics. Nigerian leaders can be bribed so easily, especially when they see $$$ (dollars); I believe they would even sabotage the Athletic departments by putting bad coaches and choosing bad athletes to represent Nigeria. This is not impossible.

But no bigs at all. God is in control. I am grateful that we actually got to enjoy being champions for a while.

Now onto Nigeria's favorite sport: Soccer/Football/Futbol

Nigeria was once awesome at football. Nigeria has the talent for football across all ages, so lack of talent is not the problem. Nigeria lacks a good coach.
If Brazil having a bad coach prevented them from reaching the finals in like 10 years, I think it is unreasonable to expect Nigeria to be able to get to the finals with a mediocre coach (and yeah, Nigeria has beaten Brazil in the past in the world cup).

I remember watching Nigeria play on the TV at home, and hearing everyone scream when we almost scored or narrowly missed, or scored. I remember the shouts of joy erupting and as if conducted by a conductor, all the neighbors and my family erupted when a goal was scored. Those are memories.

It has been a while since Nigeria actually won a game and won it well when it counted. Defeating big teams in friendly games but losing to those teams at official games is ridiculous.

Although the  Green  White  Green  in Nigerian sports looks faded, there is still hope.

We can pray. God is alive and answers prayers especially when we all go to His Throne together as one to ask for deliverance.
If we don't pray, what's going to happen is that we will continue to see more and more Nigerians representing other Countries and beating their own Nigerian brothers and sisters in sports, and honestly, I don't hold it against anyone who does. Everyone wants to feel loved and appreciated.

I cherish my memories of Nigeria being great but I desire Nigeria to be good in at least one sport. I want my kids to be proud of their roots.

Without God's help, Nigeria is (insert scary word here).