Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: The Real Story of Nigeria

This video has been sorta trending on Facebook and I decided to check it out. I'm glad I did! Check on it:





I love how the video starts out with a look at colonialism which is often ignored in Nigerian history/social science textbooks at the primary and secondary school level. "Nigeria gained her independence from the British on Oct 1 1960" is probably all I knew about colonialism for a while. Wow!

About a month ago I had this discussion with my friend, "why is our history so covered up?" He answered "who made the textbooks you read in school?" Enough said, I guess. My cousin IK says "propaganda covers up history". True words.

Teach us about colonialism. We need to know where we came from.


Reminiscing Mondays is a weekly post by Pearlle Magazine's contributors, sharing their memories about growing up in Africa.