Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: Songs we sang growing up in Nigeria

The video below which I absolutely love, inspired this post!

Who remembers the songs we sang growing up in Nigeria? All the songs we sang were in English, and you can only guess why. Excuse the titles, I just came up with titles on the spot lol. Excuse any wrong lyrics as well, I last sang these songs more than a decade ago.

Here are a few I remember:

The Rain Song
Rain, rain, go away,
Come again another day.
Little children want to play

The Holiday song (sang when school was coming to an end)
No 1:
Holiday is coming
No more ringing bells
(that's all I remember)

No 2:
Good bye teachers, good bye friends
(again, that's all I remember)

John Bull
John Bull my son
I sent you to school
To learn how to spell your name (X2)
J-O-H-N B-U-L-L
That's how you spell your name

Wherever you go
Wherever you go....go go gongo
Wherever you meet ...sisi eko
Do not say yes when you mean to say no...baba ibadan

Fire on the mountain!
Run run run run

Who is in the garden
A little fine girl
Can i come and see her?
No, no no follow me

London Bridge is falling down
London Bridge is falling down,
Falling down, falling down.
London Bridge is falling down,
My fair lady.

Bez ft Praiz - That Stupid Song




Reminiscing Mondays is a weekly post by Pearlle Magazine's contributors, sharing their memories about life in Nigeria.