Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Featured video: Udo by ESTAR (formerly of Resonance)

Writing today's Featured Video post makes me incredibly happy!!

ESTAR, Esther Ebigbo, Udo, Resonance, Nigeria
Fierce bantu knots!
Almost 7 years ago, this duo called Resonance released some AMAZING music. You know how some songs receive massive airplay,  right? Well, Resonance had many of those and this was in Bauchi, Nigeria. I can't imagine how much airplay they received in other parts of Nigeria but I know it must have been incredible. Then they stopped releasing music and fell off the face of the earth Nigerian music scene.



Chinwe Ike gave me goose bumps and I still get goosies whenever I watch the video. Their CD (music video compilation) was one of the first CD's I ever owned. I don't remember how many times I replayed all the videos. My sisters and I still replay their songs from 2006 lol..it's an oldie but goodie. TL; DR: Esther Ebigbo (aka Estar) is the bomb diggity. I know no one says bomb diggity any more but I thought it's hilarious. I know that they were a duo but Esther did all the singing and I connected with her voice. Anyways, Resonance split and that was it.

You can imagine my excitement when I found out that Estar is now releasing new music. Say whaaat?!! Omg check out her new music video.



It's very indie-ish. Basically, if Nigeria had an indie music scene, this song and the video would fit right into it. So calming and although her voice has changed a bit, it's still amazing. I feel like the nature of the song probably didn't let her showcase her vocal ability as much. I also like how different the song sounds and the fact that it's not one of those 'club bangers' that don't make any sense but becomes an instant hit.

I wish she was more sociable though! Come on gurrrrl, get yourself an official Twitter, Facebook and Youtube account. This aint 2006 gurl! In the meantime, check out her website!

Update (March 12):
Esther does have social media. Follow her on Twitter: @estar411 and Facebook. You can also subscribe to her on Youtube