Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Pearlle Kpop chat #12: Review of City Hunter/시티헌터 (ep 1-11) starring Lee Min Ho and Park Min Young

For the longest time, I've always dismissed Lee Min Ho as merely a pretty boy and paid no attention to his dramas. All this changed about a month ago when I watched Boys Over Flowers. BOF wasn't perfect but Lee Min Ho's performance was almost flawless and left me very impressed.

Like many would guess, the next LMH drama I would be interested in would be City Hunter, for obvious reasons. 11 episodes later, I am not disappointed. I have to say, I just finished watching episode 11 so I'm hoping the next 9 episodes are as strong as the first 11. 


Synopsis (from Dramafever):
This intense, beautifully shot romantic thriller loosely based on a manga of the same name by Tsukasa Hojo, is a revenge drama done right. In 1983, 21 South Korean military operatives are sent into North Korea on a secret mission. After completing their mission, they are executed by their own side in a government cover-up. The sole survivor, Lee Jin Pyo, watches as his closest friend dies beside him. Taking his friend's son under his wing, Jin Pyo raises him as his own and trains him with one goal: to take revenge on the men responsible for this massacre. Some twenty years later, a brilliant young man joins the international communications team of the Blue House (Korea's White House). Lee Yoon Sung has but one mission in mind: to find and bring down the five men responsible for the murder of his father. To do so, he must hide his identity and fighting skills to infiltrate the government. During his quest for revenge, however, he also enacts justice, and is given the nickname City Hunter by the populace, who knows only of a shadowy figure exposing corruption in their city. Torn between his surrogate father's drive for vengeance and the innocent girl he loves, Yoon Sung must fight to survive, and choose the path he will take.

The good
The storyline and the actors are amazing! Lee Min Ho's performance is quite believable and Park Min Young's role as a fierce heroine is not bad as well. Lee Joon Hyuk's acting is on point too. I feel like the Prosecutor Kim Young Jo character was written for him. 

Back to Lee Min-HOT's acting: in that scene where Na Na is shot and you see as he switches from rage as kicked that guy's ass to heartbreak holding Na Na in his arms. Outstanding!

The scene in the National Forensic Services (after the intense staircase scene):


The bad
Kdrama's always have 'WTF moments' and I'll share a few that I remember:

That scene where Yoon Sung's father almost shoots Kim Na Na and Yoon Sung saves her. Excuse me, she can clearly see her reflection in a freaking window and didn't see the red dot on her head?


The scene where Yoon Sung stays outside all night to guard Na Na's house. Great logic! The criminal will probably return that night. Oh right I forgot, he can just do that every night. 

The next morning
There's also the scene where Na Na gets kidnapped by Kim Jong Shik's people and she goes all judo on one of her assailants but forgets about the other. Dang, I wish I captured a picture of the scene.

Fashion
Kim Na Na's style is very comfortable and casual. Yoon Sung's style reminds me somewhat of his style in Boys Over Flowers - trench coats and all LOL

Image source

I'm excited for the next 9 episodes. I really can't wait!!

Bonus pics of Lee Min-Hot!