Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Tuesday Tips: How to spend less than $50 on textbooks in university

University students, especially in North America constantly complain about the ridiculous prices of text books. I've found a way to drastically reduce how much you spend on books every semester. Here are my two tips that have worked for me.

1. Is this legal?
Download books online using random sites, torrents, etc. This takes hours to find the right book you're looking for, and sift through all the online spam. But once you find that book, it becomes worth it. I did this when I lived in Minot, North Dakota and could not do #2.

Image Source

2. Use your school/public library.
This is something I currently do. Go to the public library or your school's library early on in the semester and search for the required textbooks. You will probably find an older edition of the book which in many cases can be used, unless your professor requires you to get the latest edition for assignments, etc. I have done this since my first semester in university and it has always worked. This semester, I have spent $0 on textbooks because I have found all of them in my school library or public library. Many times the older edition of a book is not much different from the latest edition.

3. Rent Textbooks
This is quite obvious, but renting textbooks can be significantly more expensive depending on where you live. Renting textbooks was much cheaper when I lived in Canada.

4. Buy textbooks on ebay/Amazon
Amazon has incredible deals on books. It isn't rare to find a textbook on Amazon for less than $1 and less than $2 on ebay.



Tuesday Tips is a weekly post by Pearlle Magazine's contributors, sharing good ideas and practices we've learnt over the years. Got a tip you'd like to share, contact us . Who doesn't love a good tip?