Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: The dresses we wore as kids.

If you grew up in Nigeria, and this probably is the same all over West Africa; you'll know that going to church is serious business. People get decked up, and this is not just the case with adults. Little kids get some of this lovin' as well.

As a kid in Nigeria, I remember wearing super cute dresses on Sundays. It wasn't just my family, many kids dressed the same too. It wasn't just on special holidays, it was every Sunday.

Image source
I still don't get it, what's up with Nigerians and over-dressing just to go to church. I'm all about being nicely dressed, but going to church should be more than just showing off your latest hair style, fabric, hats and accessories. I understand that not all Nigerians dress nicely on Sundays just to show off. For many, it is part of the culture and something they are used to, which I understand.

When next I'm in Nigeria and happen to go to church, I'm probably gonna wear a day dress with flats and call it a day!


Reminiscing Mondays is a weekly post by Pearlle Magazine's contributors, sharing their memories about growing up in Africa.