Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: Nigerian women I admired growing up

Nigeria is not lacking in terms of inspirational female figures and growing up in Nigeria in the 1990s and a couple of years into the millennium, there were some women I admired. I list them here in no particular order

1. Flora Nwapa
Her book 'Efuru' was one of the first I read when I started to go through my mum's book shelves in search of books to read when I was bored.

2. Abike Dabiri-Erewa
I remember watching her on the news. She seemed so positive and was always doing something for the greater good.

3. Funmi Iyanda & Adesuwa Onyenokwe

Adesuwa
They are both TV personalities in Nigeria, who have decades of experience in the industry. I didn't know this at the time, and to me they were just women whom I watched on TV who had this incredible ability to connect with their audience and ask the right questions. My love for journalism definitely started from here.

4. My mum
This post won't be complete without giving some love to my mum.The epitome of beauty, brains, elegance, favor, grace and creativity. She's been through a lot and still standing strong!! What an inspiration!!

Another woman whom I absolutely adore is Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Listen to her speech at the 2012 Commonwealth lecture organized by the Commonwealth Foundation.



Reminiscing Mondays is a weekly post by Pearlle Magazine's contributors, sharing their memories about life in Nigeria.