Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Google Doodle celebrates Miriam Makeba

I was really shocked going on the Google homepage and seeing the Miriam Makeba doodle. Say whaaat!! I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, Miriam Makeba (4 March 1932 – 9 November) was an amazing woman and would have been 81 today!

Miriam Makeba Google Doodle


She was forced into exile after her participation in the 1959 documentary "COME BACK AFRICA" which exposed the harsh realities of apartheid internationally.

"I always wanted to leave home. I never knew they were going to stop me from coming back. Maybe, if I knew, I never would have left. It is kind of painful to be away from everything that you've ever known. Nobody will know the pain of exile until you are in exile. No matter where you go, there are times when people show you kindness and love, and there are times when they make you know that you are with them but not of them. That's when it hurts."


She was an outspoken opponent of apartheid who returned to South Africa after a 30 year exile and died in 2008 leaving a wonderful legacy behind and two grandchildren.

Thank you Google, for recognizing a beautiful woman who stood for truth and justice and fought for the oppressed!