Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: Roadside sellers in Nigeria

I watched this video earlier today on BattaBox that made me write this post:

"MaiTea" Breakfast on Go!



If you've ever been to Nigeria (especially major cities), one thing I am sure you wouldn't miss is the roadside sellers.
Image source
I actually find it quite scary looking at them sometimes. I mean, some of the cars move pretty fast and our roads aren't the best out there. In big cities such as Lagos with crazy traffic (go-slow), the sellers had this all well thought out and their timing was perfect, in terms of knowing when to approach the car, as seen in the picture. I always found it sad whenever the sellers would have to start a light jog when the car had to start moving faster because the buyer was probably looking for change or something.

It's been almost 3 years since I was in Nigeria, and I'm just curious as to what the situation with the sellers is. Have any lives been lost in the process.

I miss buying plantain chips, masa, akara, pap, fura da nunu, suya, etc from the roadside sellers. I miss the sights, sounds, smell of Nigeria. . .


Reminiscing Mondays is a weekly post by Pearlle Magazine's contributors, sharing their memories about life in Nigeria.