Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: Black in Canada | Don't ask me where I'm from

Where are you from? Does anyone else find that irritating? Especially when the person doesn't ask for my name first, and is clearly only interested in my nationality. I think as I've lived overseas for longer and my accent is less noticeable, people are probably less curious as to where I'm from. However, this doesn't deter some people from asking and it's quite obvious that they ask because I'm black and sound different.

My friend who was born in Kingston, Ontario get asked a lot because many people assume that because she is black, she probably can't be from Canada. Yes, she is of Nigerian heritage, however, she's born and raised in Canada so is Canadian. It's even worse when they reply, "No, where are you really from?" Sometimes I answer this question without hesitation if it comes up in conversation, and depending on who's asking. I do understand that some people ask this question with great intentions and I've had some good conversations with people as a result of their asking this question. However, I've had more less-than-positive experiences and here are a few reasons why I hate being asked where I'm from:

1. I feel exorticized and 'othered'
2. It makes me feel that no matter how long I live in Canada, I'll never be fully accepted as a Canadian and Canada is not home
3. My response usually prompts the asker to fill me in on the years of African stereotypes they've accumulated and feel the need to share
4. It reminds me that dumbasses out there don't care to know me but are only interested in my accent and the color of my skin
5. Finally, like the 4 reasons above, it boils down to the fact that it's not about me, but my country of origin, so it is a pointless question.

Here are 2 videos that shed more light on this:
Rinaldo Walcott is so on point with his response