Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Make Joseph Kony famous: Invisible Children has my support 50%

If you've been in the social media world the past day or 2, you probably have watched this video.



Invisible Children's goal is to make Joseph Kony famous. Get him on everybody's lips so the US government and those in authority such as President Obama do not withdraw support promoting the capture of this rebel leader.

I watched the video a few hours ago and if I remember correctly, they want you to do two things: 1. Share the video with all your friends, and also get celebs to notice. 2. Make Joseph Kony famous by posting stickers everywhere on April 20, which can be gotten through their website.

Like I said, IC only has 50% of my support because I shared the video on FB like they asked. However, I am not doing no 2. I will not give a cent of my money to Invisible Children. You may ask why and I'll tell you. I'm kinda lazy to type so I'll just copy and paste my response to a friend on FB:

I chose not to donate my $ to IC because I know that less than 25% of my donation actually goes to Ugandan/Central African children. The allegations of fraud and scam, as well as how they choose to treat the symptoms not the cause, leave much to be desired. In my opinion, there are many more organizations more deserving of my $ than IC.

Invisible Children is not a scam, however it bothers me that less than 25% of their revenue (about 37% of their expenses) actually goes to programs in Uganda/Central Africa. Read their 2011 annual report here. Also, about 16% goes to administrative costs.

When I compare this to organizations like Hope For Haiti that gives 90% of revenue to programmes in Haiti, as well as other considerations, I have decided that IC isn't a charity I will support financially.

I am not saying you should not support them. IC is raising incredible awareness about the challenges faced by children in Northern Uganda. Don't even get me started about how they are taking advantage of the ignorance of Americans. Africa has greater problems, Uganda has more pressing problems. However, like I said earlier, I would like to know that more than 23% of my money goes to the cause the organization exists for when I donate my hard-earned money.