Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

The Niger Delta: Remembering those that suffer


Do you ever think of the Niger Delta people and weep for them?  No, I don't mean hysterical crying for every single person that comes from the Niger Delta. I mean thinking and mourning the people whose lives have been lost, livelihood lost, land destroyed, hobbies killed and dreams crushed so we may have petroleum and its by-products.

A Nigerian woman carries on her daily activities despite the a burning oil pipeline. Credit: City of Refuge Africa
You may be thinking, "I have better things to think about". But think about it this way: you have a piece of land that is very fertile. A stranger gets permission from "the authorities" to farm on your piece of land, giving you nothing in return. As a result of this farming, your environment is polluted, and your land is left in deplorable condition and you get nothing in return. As a matter of fact, you're left worse off after the stranger is done farming.



Tell me something, won't you be mad if that happened to you? I know for sure I would be. Don't be thinking, "well, didn't they get compensated for this?" Yes, if you believe the Nigerian Government and her "compensation" schemes.  The average life expectancy of someone who lives in the Niger Delta is now believed to be a mere 40 years.

I am from the Niger Delta, Akuku Toru, Rivers State to be precise and I can tell you that I do not think of the suffering of my people. However, I believe we should all be concious of the fact that people had to sacrifice things dear to their heart in order for us to enjoy some of life's luxuries.