Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: The ridiculous search for a hard bristle brush

It's been ages since I blogged, and obviously since then, a lot has happened.

For one, I decided to go natural. I decided to do this almost a month ago, and I'm not looking back. I'm not gonna big chop anytime soon, and plan to transition for a while. While I transition, I'll be wearing my hair in protective styles like box braids, corn rows, extensions, etc. On Friday night, I decided to give the cornrows a rest and wear my natural hair in a bun. I did "research" on Youtube and decided that for an effective bun, I need hair gel and a good hard bristle (also known as boar) brush. Ummm..where on earth will I find this in Victoria, BC?

Natural hair inspiration

I called Shoppers Drug Mart, and the lady who answered the phone didn't sound like she had any idea what I was talking about. I called Sally's Beauty Supply, and the rep said that the "ethnic hair section" was quite sparse but they do have boar brushes. Thing is, the only Sally's near Victoria, BC is 57 minutes away by bus. I decided that I gotta do what I gotta do.

The next morning, before embarking on my gel and brush journey, I decided to stop by Walmart. I got in there and couldn't even find the "ethnic hair section". That aisle was so sparse, it did not even have a mini-label. I walked by it a few times before finding it. I went with Ampro Pro Style Clear Ice Gel (roughly $3) and a Goody hard bristle brush which cost $15. I'm pretty impressed with both products and I'll do a review of the gel in a little bit.

Hats off to my natural sisters in Victoria, BC. The struggle is real.