Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

How I successfully care for my oily skin

I have been a member of Nairaland since March 2008. 1871 posts and counting y'all!! A few days ago someone posted asking people to share how they care for their oily skin. This is what I posted and I thought it would be great to share it here as well. Hope you find it useful.
Image source

There are no rules when it comes to skin care. What works for one person would not work for the next. I try to use products that are as natural as possible and follow some basic universal "rules"
1. Cleanse/Moisturize
Cleanse with Clinique face wash. Moisturize with olive oil or clean and clear (with salicylic acid) or a mixture of both. Olive oil might sound strange but it literally dissolves into the skin.

The last thing you want to do on oily skin is overwash your face as this tells your skin to produce more oil.

2. Exfoliating
I use brown sugar, baking soda or st ives Apricot scrub. Exfoliating gets rid of dead skin cells and speeds up regeneration.

3. Toning
I use lemon or apple cider vinegar

4. Facial steaming
I do this once or twice a week. Just like exfoliating, it unclogs pores. I wear makeup whenever I go out and clogged pores equals breakouts.

5. Sunblock
Yes black people need sunblock too. This is esp useful if you have dark spots cos the sun will darken them.

6. Water, vitamins, no makeup to bed.

I think for ladies, cleansing, exfoliating, toning and moisturizing are essential. That's my basic regimen above and I no longer have breakouts. My skin is oily but not sensitive so I can exfoliate more regularly and use harsher products like lemon and apple cider vinegar.