Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Reminiscing Mondays: Church Business in Nigeria

Today's Reminiscing post comes from my friend, Olu. He's "chillin" in Nigeria for a little bit and will be guest blogging his experiences, which I'm really excited to read. 

I’ve been to 4 different churches in Lagos. Trust me; there is no shortage of choice. In economic terms the market is oversaturated. I’ve attended 5, 4, 3 ½ and 1 ½ hour services; each with its little quirks. I wasn’t amused at the longer ones.

The atmosphere on Sunday mornings is totally different from the weekdays. The change begins in the wee hours of the morning; the young ladies I live with change their playlists from Don Jazzy to Don Moen. Their outfits would have been brought out and pressed the night before, and a bathroom order would have determined too. There’s just this air of order and tranquility that doesn’t carry over into the rest of the week. The girls then come out looking particularly stunning – the term Sunday best, personified. Everyone looks their best, except me of course. I like dressing down, not up.

When we get out on the road, the usual traffic jams are non-existent! I can’t explain it because there are a ton of people on their way to church yet traffic flows seamlessly. Possible miracle? It is Sunday after all :). Most radio stations "get saved" and play gospel tracks and sermons all day. Bus drivers give way to pedestrians, the constant honking seize, and the scowl on the faces of old women is gone. Lagosians are transformed.

Last week I counted 20 churches on a 10-minute drive to church! I saw one building with two different churches, one on top of the other. I’ve seen churches at the mall, open-aired churches, tent churches, inception churches (a church within a church), and a church on top of a church. Apart from the popular franchises, individuals have also begun tapping into this seemingly robust market. I can guarantee you that a new church is planted every week in Lagos. I am not going to analyze the authenticity of different ministries because it is not my place, but I’ve met some people with personal experiences that are very critical of some churches.



There are "tooch"/rich churches where the big men and celebs bless the congregation with their presence. The praise/worship session in these churches are particularly long and the dancing is epic – young chicks and older women getting low, shaking their bottoms letting go of all inhibitions. I could hardly concentrate because so much was going on. Then there are others with just the pastor and his family in attendance. Awkward! Preaching to your wife and kids… but I see fulfillment and contentment in the way they go about their work.


I asked a pastor why there are so many churches and why so many people attend. His response was one word: hope. He said if everyday Nigerians began to get rich and comfortable like us in North America, they would not bother coming to church. It’s the chaos, poverty, and suffering that motivate a lot of people to attend church where they can hear messages of hope, prosperity and restoration. A pastor I respect describes this motivation as seeking His hand, not His face. (His=God’s)