Navigation Menu

April

Better Than We Ever Could Have Imagined
Welcome To Pearlle Magazine. Africa, K-Pop, And Everything In Between.

Nigeria: Do I want to move back?


2 years ago, if anyone asked me where I wanted to be 2 years after graduation. My answers would lie somewhere along the lines of being in Nigeria. But a lot can change in 2 years, and a lot has changed.

Theresa Tibbetts/iStock

When I left Nigeria, I finally had a taste of what living in a developed country felt like, and this was so inspiring. I wanted to bring the change I had seen elsewhere back home to my country. I knew I would face challenges, but call me naïve, call me crazy – I wanted to do it all the same. Like little raindrops tht make a river, I saw myself as the little raindrops of change that would build a river of change in Nigeria, with the help of other like-minded Nigerians of course.

In my opinion, Nigeria has gotten much worse over the last 2 years. I love my country, that hasn’t changed but I have re-evaluated if Nigeria is where I really want to be in the next 2 years. My personal safety is important to me, and this has me evaluating if my one-man (woman) revolution is worth it.

I have family in Nigeria who are healthy, safe and sound (Glory to God), but this doesn’t guarantee anything. I ask myself if it is worth living the comfort an relative security of the western world for a cause with no guarantee of success?

To be honest, at the moment the thought of living in Nigeria kinda scares the crap outta me. The story of the young girl who lost her entire family in the St Theresa's Catholic church Christmas Day bombing broke my heart. Who says I have to live in Nigeria to cause change? Cant I do that right here in Canada? Think 2011 Egyptian Revolution. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Nelson Mandela did it, so maybe I can. I am not Madiba but his courage and bravery inspires me. I do not know the will of God, but will listen and obey His will. Where He leads, I will follow.

One last thing my Naija people, e go better.